Lexapro is an antidepressant from a group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). It is used to treat certain types of depression and anxiety. Lexapro 10 mg works by balancing levels of serotonin in the brain and nerves.
Usually, you should take it once daily in the morning or evening. Take this medication by mouth with or without food as directed by your doctor. The dosage is based on your medical condition, response to treatment, age, gender, and response to the medicine. Your doctor advises you to take a lower dose of Lexapro at first and it may increase as the therapy continue. You should take Lexapro 10 mg regularly to get the most benefit from it. If your condition is not improved, you should not increase in dose yourself. You may experience a risk of side effects when increasing it.
Consult your doctor when your condition is stable. There are many adverse side effects of this medicine. People who experience high blood pressure, heart disease, or heart defects can not use this medicine. Visit your doctor immediately if you feel any such side effects. Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should not consume it. Your doctor should know all your current medical conditions and previous health issues before prescribing them to you.
Lexapro 10 mg Works:
Lexapro 10 mg helps balance serotonin levels in the brain, which can reduce anxiety and enhance mood. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter involved in mood, sleep, and other functions.
Lexapro 10 mg Tablet Taking:
Lexapro 10 mg is usually taken one time per day with or without food. Generally, the doctor prescribes to the patient a low dose of medicine at the beginning of the treatment, and the dose is increased slowly over several weeks. The starting dose usually ranges from 1 mg to 20 mg. Only your doctor or healthcare provider can determine the correct dose for you.
Miss A Dose Of Lexapro 10 mg:
If you missed your daily dose of Lexapro 10 mg, you may take it as soon as possible in case of if it is not time for the next dose of this antidepressant.
But when it is closer to the time of your next dose, you will skip the current dose and take it the next day and regularise it. Discuss this with your healthcare provider or the doctor. Do not use a double dose for skipping one. Just skip the missed tablet and go back to your prescribed dosage.
Over-Dose Of Lexapro 10 mg:
If the patient will take too many prescription medications, it can be risky. It is the risk of harmful effects on overdose drug interactions. Overdose signs can include anxiety and paranoia, restlessness or agitation, hallucinations, high temperature, chest pain, rapid breathing, and irregular or fast heartbeat.
When the patient experiences an overdose, breathing can slow to the point of death. Giving naloxone to someone who has overdosed restores normal breathing. It is safe, easy to administer, and has no potential for abuse.
Side Effects Of Lexapro 10 mg:
Many treatments and medical procedures can cause side effects. It can be positive but more often it is unwanted. The causes of adverse effects include drugs working in your body in a variety of ways.
Lexapro is considered a safe medication, but it has some side effects. It may be common side effects, severe side effects
Common Side Effects:
The common side effects of Lexapro may go away after a few months of using this medication. This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. A medical professional or doctor can advise you on the side effects of the medication.
Common side effects of taking Lexapro 10 mg include:
- Ejaculation problems
- Low sex drive (decreased libido)
Lexapro 10 mg may cause other side effects. Call your healthcare provider or the doctor if you have any unusual problems while taking Lexapro 10 mg.
Severe Side Effects:
Severe side effects are rare, It can cause severe or even life-threatening side effects. You should seek immediate medical attention if you begin to experience any of these side effects:
- Worsening Symptoms: Contact your doctor or healthcare provider if you have worsening depression or anxiety symptoms.
- Serotonin Syndrome: Serotonin syndrome is presented with the effects of a rapid heartbeat, confusion, sweating, muscle twitching, irregular body temperature, and a sense of uncomfortableness.
- Suicidal Thoughts: Lexapro 10 mg may trigger suicidal thoughts, especially in younger people. If the patient begins to have thoughts of hurting himself in any way, seek immediate medical help.
Long-Term Side Effects:
A long-term effect appears months or years after starting or stopping the medicine. Medicine might be taken for a long time its effect on the patient is exposed.
It is harmful to the patient. Individual responses to Lexapro 10 mg in differing effects among users. It is important to check in with your doctor or healthcare provider regularly to minimize side effects.
Before you start taking medications, you need to know the name of the medicine and what it is supposed to do. How and when to take medicine, how much to take, and for how long. Besides these, the doctor warns some important things such as follows:
- You should not use Lexapro 10 mg if you also take any dose of Celexa.
- Some young people have thoughts about suicide when first taking an antidepressant. Stay alert to changes in your mood or symptoms. Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor.
- Do not use Lexapro 10 mg before or after 14 days you have used an MAO inhibitor. Because the ingredients of MAO inhibitors, such as isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue injection, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, or tranylcypromine are harmful to your health.
- Seek medical attention immediately if you have symptoms of serotonin syndrome, such as agitation, hallucinations, fever, sweating, shivering, fast heart rate, muscle stiffness, twitching, loss of coordination, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- You should never give Lexapro 10 mg to anyone under 12 years.
- Without consulting a doctor you should never stop using Lexapro 10 mg.
Precautions And Contradictions For Lexapro 10 mg:
There are many precautions involved when taking Lexapro 10 mg. You can reduce your side effects by getting aware of who should or should not take this medication.
Who Should Not Take Lexapro 10 mg?
Medicines are chemicals used to cure or prevent disease. But it has more or fewer side effects for the patient. Likewise, Lexapro 10 mg is not safe for everyone. Certain people should not take Lexapro at all or take it with caution, including:
- People with escitalopram allergies: You should not take Lexapro 10 mg if you are hypersensitive to escitalopram oxalate. If any symptoms of allergic reaction to the medication are experienced when taking it, such as difficulty breathing or swelling of the face, mouth, or tongue, you should never take it.
- Children: The safety and effectiveness of Lexapro 10 mg for children under 12 years of age have not been given.
- Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding: Use Lexapro 10 mg with caution if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Because the medication can be passed to your child which is harmful to the development of the child. The FDA also reports after the 20th week of pregnancy if the woman will take SSR, it has been found to increase the risk of persistent pulmonary hypertension in infants by six times.
- Older adults: Side effects of Lexapro 10 mg can be more severe in older adults, such as by causing blood sodium levels to lower to dangerous levels.
Your doctor should monitor your dose and adjust it as necessary to reduce the severity of its effects.
Avoid While Taking Lexapro 10 mg:
Avoid drinking alcohol or marijuana and using illegal drugs while you are taking antidepressant medications. They may decrease the benefits or worsen your condition and increase the adverse effects e.g., sedation of the medication. If you take medicine together with another medicine or alcohol it causes a harmful reaction.
Although certain medicines should not be used together at all. The interaction of two different medicines may adverse reactions in the patient. In these cases, your doctor may change the dose or provide some necessary precautions. When you are taking Lexapro 10 mg, your doctor or healthcare professional must know all the medicines listed below.
Using Lexapro 10 mg with any of the following medicines is not recommended. Your doctor may decide which medicine you will take or change with Lexapro 10 mg for the treatment of anxiety.
- ADHD Medicine: Adderall, Concerta, Dexedrine, Provigil, Evekeo, Ritalin, Strattera, Suboxone
- Weight Loss: Meridia, Phentermine, Reductil, and Slimall
- Men’s Health: Viagra, Kamagra, Cialis, and Levitra.
- Seeping Pills: Ambien, Halcion, Lunesta, Sonata, Restoril, Rozerem, etc.
- Opioid medicines, and pain relief medication: Codeine, Dilaudid, Gabapentin, Hydrocodone, Oxycontin. Methadone, Roxycodone, Lortab, Norco, Opana ER, Percocet, Soma, Tramadol, Vicodin, etc.
- Grapefruit and grape juice, Alcohol, or Marijuana.
- Other medications such as Bepridil, Bromopride, Cisapride, Clorgyline, Dronedarone, etc.
Before taking any medication you should consult your doctor.
I am giving Lexapro 10 mg to my son for a three-month trial to treat depression and anxiety. Here he is feeling calm and quit.
Lexapro 10 mg helped so much in the beginning. My doctor suggested I never stop this medication without his permission. One of the best medications I purchase from Newlifemedix.
I have suffered from depression for 6 years. I was on taking the help of Lexapro 10 mg for a few years. It makes me calm so i can not give it up.
James Nora –
Within the first six months, I am taking Lexapro 10 mg for controlling my depression and anxiety. my family noticed difference in my behavior. The first 2 to 3 weeks caused me to be sleepy, and have a great night’s sleep. Every week and every dose increase improved my mental health. It is a miracle worker. I wish it worked quicker!
Started taking Lexapro 10 mg over a year ago due to an awful general anxiety disorder. My doctor suggested taking this medication for controlling physical symptoms such as palpitations, severe hot flashes, tinnitus, and intrusive thoughts that led to depression. Lexapro 10 mg has really helped me live a normal life free from daily Agitation and other symptoms.