Lexapro 1 mg is indicated for the acute and maintenance treatment of major depressive disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) in adults 12 to 17 years of age. Taking this medication for the long term may cause problems with your balance and coordination. This side effect may be worse in older adults such as mental health problems, including memory problems, depression, insomnia (trouble sleeping), and agitation.
Do not give this medication to anyone else, even if they have the same symptoms as you do. It can be harmful to people to take this medication if their doctor has not prescribed it.
Availability Of Doses:
Lexapro is available in tablet form. It has a variety of strengths available, such as;
- Lexapro 1 mg: It is a white-colored, round-shaped medicine. This is the lowest available dose of Lexapro.
- Lexapro 5 mg: This is a white-colored tablet in a round shape. It has 5 written on one side of it.
- Lexapro 10 mg: Lexapro 10 mg is a white-colored medicine. It is round in shape and has 10 written on one side of it. It also has a line debossed in the middle of it.
- Lexapro 15 mg: This medicine is white in color and round in shape. It has 15 written on one side of the tablet.
- Lexapro 20 mg: It is a white-colored oval-shaped medicine.
- Lexapro 30 mg: Lexapro 30 mg is the largest available dose of Lexapro. It is a white-colored tablet in an oval shape.
Exact Dosage Of Lexapro:
Generally, starting dose of Lexapro for treating depression in adults or adolescents is 10 mg once daily in the morning or evening. The dose may be increased to 20 mg once daily after 3 weeks.
A benefit may not be seen until treatment has been given for up to 4 weeks. It may not be more effective than 10 mg daily for the treatment of depression. The dose for treating generalized anxiety disorder is 10 mg once daily.
- Take this medicine as directed. The doctor may change the doses.
- Read the medication guide that comes with the prescription.
- Try to take Lexapro 1 mg at the same time each day with or without food.
- It does not matter if you will take it in the morning or evening as long as the tablet is taken at the same time every day.
- It may take a month or more before symptoms improve, so continue taking Lexapro 1 mg even if it doesn’t seem to be working.
- Do not increase or decrease the doses on your own. Your doctor will change the doses in the necessary conditions.
- You should not stop the use of this medication promptly. It will have withdrawal symptoms like headache, tiredness, mood swings, sleep changes, and briefs similar to electric shock. So you should consult your doctor if you want to stop this medication.
- Store Lexapro tablets in a tightly closed container at room temperature (68°F–77°F).
How Does Lexapro 1 mg Work?
Lexapro starts its work within a few hours of its consumption. Its effectiveness peaks within 5 hours. Some of it can be found in various body parts for 5 to 6 days after the last use. It needs some special test to get it.
It works by affecting the secretion of a neurotransmitter known as serotonin. This hormone works for sleep, mood, and other bodily functions. This helps to reduce stress and anxiety and uplifts mood. This way it also helps to suppress depression.
The dosage varies from person to person and also the side effects. Normally, it is decided according to the patient’s age, other medical conditions, and response to the treatment.
Like every medicine, It does have some side effects. Some of the side effects are casual and non-risky whereas some of them are very dangerous.
Some casual side effects are ;
- Painful urination
- Anxious feeling
- Heavy menstrual flow
- Dry mouth
- Increased thirst
- Loss of appetite
- Shaky feeling
- Decreased sex drive
- Increased muscle movement
Serious or risky side effects that can cause by the use of it are;
- Eye swelling and eye pain
- Pain or burning while urinating
- Blurred vision
- Tunnel vision
- Feeling extreme happy or sad
- Racing thoughts
- Slow growth or weight gain in children
- Unusual risk-taking behavior
- Low levels of sodium in the body -headache, confusion, slurred speech
- Severe nervous system reaction – rigid muscles, high fever, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats, tremors
If you experience any serious issues, stop taking it and consult your doctor immediately. You also need to visit your doctor if the casual side effects do not go away or bother you.
Missed Lexapro 1 mg:
If you have forgotten to take a dose in time then take it as soon as you remembered. But if the time is nearer to the time to take the next dose, then do not consume. You should skip the dose and it will take it the next day and make it the usual dose.
Overdosed Lexapro 1 mg:
You should never take two medicine at a time. Because overdosing Lexapro 1 mg can have serious indications like a fast heartbeat, trouble breathing, vomiting, dizziness, coma, seizures, etc. If someone has consumed an overdose and is going through such symptoms, then immediately take them to a doctor for urgent treatment or call the poison help center.
Warnings & Precautions:
The FDA approved Lexapro 1 mg to treat:
- Acute or major depressive disorder in adults and children aged 12 to 17 years old.
- Generalized anxiety disorder in adults.
Before taking this medicine you should maintain some precautions and also keep an eye on the warning of the doctor.
- Children below 12 years can not use this medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to this or citalopram.
- Avoid driving or operating heavy machines while consuming this medicine.
- Alcohol or marijuana is not allowed to take with it.
- Pregnant women should not use this medicine. In extremely necessary conditions, they can use it with their doctor’s approval. If you got pregnant or planning to be pregnant during this medication, you need to consult your doctor.
- The medication passes through breast milk. If you are a breastfeeding mother then talk to your healthcare provider about it.
- Certain diseases can get worse and can affect health conditions with the consumption of this medicine. Your doctor needs to know about the diseases before prescribing this medicine to you. Those diseases are liver disease, mania, platelet function, depression, hyponatremia, renal dysfunction, seizure disorder, weight loss, etc.
Withdrawal Symptoms Of Lexapro 1 mg:
Do not stop taking Lexapro 1 mg without consulting the doctor or other healthcare professional first. Discontinuing the medication suddenly could cause withdrawal symptoms such as:
- Trouble sleeping
- Weird skin sensations
To prevent withdrawal symptoms, a doctor or other healthcare provider will better guide you in reducing the dose before stopping Lexapro 1 mg completely.
Some other medicines can have an impact on the effectiveness of this medicine. Some medicines can cause various serious issues in the body when interacting with Lexapro. Such medicines are;
You should inform your doctor if you are going through any of the above medications.
Store this medicine in a cool, dry place at room temperature. Moisture and direct sunlight can damage the medicines, so avoid this environment. Keep the tablets in an airtight container in a safe place. Children should stay away from this. Dispose of the expired and unused medicines in a place that children and animals can not reach there. You can also ask the pharmacist or the local disposal factory for it.
Call The Doctor After Taking Lexapro 1 mg:
If your mood changes suddenly. Call your doctor right away in an emergency if you have any of the following symptoms, especially if they are new, worse, or worry you:
- Attempts to commit suicide.
- Acting on dangerous impulses.
- Thoughts about suicide or dying.
- Acting aggressively or violently.
- New or worse depression.
- Trouble sleeping.
- New or worse anxiety or panic attacks.
- Feeling agitated, restless, angry, or irritable.
- An increase in activity or talking more than what is normal for you.
After taking proper guidance from the doctor, it is decreased side effects.