Celexa is used to treat depression and to improve the ability of the brain to transmit messages from one nerve cell to another. It can help to improve mood and start feeling better within a few weeks of treatment.
Celexa 30 mg may be available under multiple brand names and/or in several different forms. It is indicated for the treatment of the major depressive disorder (MDD) in adults. The women breastfeeding have not taken this medication, it is harmful to infants.
Dosage Forms And Strengths Come In:
Celexa is used to treat depression, including major depressive disorder (MDD). It is an antidepressant that belongs to a group of medicines known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). These medicines work by increasing the activity of a chemical called serotonin in the brain is widely used to treat the symptoms of depression.
This medicine is available only with your doctor’s prescription. This product is available in 3 forms i.e.Oral Tablet, Oral Solution, and Oral Capsule.
- The strengths of Celexa oral tablets are 5 mg, 10 mg, 20 mg, 30 mg, 40 mg, and 60 mg.
- The strengths of the Celexa oral capsule are 10 mg, 20 mg, and 30 mg.
- The strength of oral solution Celexa is 10mg/5mL.
Ingredients & Identification Of The Doses:
Nonmedicinal ingredients: Celexa contains nonmedicinal ingredients of copolyvidone glycerin, cornstarch, croscarmellose sodium, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol 400, and titanium dioxide.
Celexa 5 mg: This medicine is a white, oval shape. It contains 5 mg of citalopram (as citalopram HBr).
Celexa 10 mg: This medicine is a white, round, scored, film-coated, tablet imprinted with “I G” and “208”. It contains 10 mg of citalopram (as citalopram HBr).
Celexa 20 mg: This medication is pink, oval, scored with “F” imprinted on the left side of the score line and “P” imprinted on the right side of the score line, and “20 mg” imprinted on the non-scored side. It contains 20 mg of citalopram (as citalopram HBr).
Celexa 30 mg: This medicine is a pink, oval, scored with “F” imprinted on the left side of the score line and “P” imprinted on the right side of the score line, and “30 mg” imprinted on the non-scored side. It contains 30 mg of citalopram (as citalopram HBr).
Celexa 40 mg: This medicine is a white, oval, scored with “F” imprinted on the left side of the score line and “P” imprinted on the right side of the score line, and “40 mg” imprinted on the non-scored side. It contains 40 mg of citalopram (as citalopram HBr).
Celexa 30 mg Dosage For Treatment:
The dosage is based on your medical condition, response to treatment, age, laboratory tests, and other medications you may be taking. The doctor will consider the dose of Celexa that help to control the symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Adult Dosage (Ages 18–60 years): The starting dose for the adult is 5 to 20 mg. It can take once per day. Your doctor may increase the dose. Doses shouldn’t be increased more than once per week. The maximum dose is 30-40 mg once per day. Don’t take more than 40 mg per day because the higher doses increase the risk of QT prolongation.
- Child Dosage (Ages 0–17 years): It hasn’t been confirmed that Celexa is safe and effective for younger children than 18 years.
- Senior Dosage (Ages 61 years and older): Don’t take more than 20 mg once per day. Because their kidneys may not work properly. This can cause your body to process drugs more slowly. More of a drug stays in your body for a longer time which increases your risk of side effects.
Your doctor may start at the lowered dose or a different medication schedule. This can help to maintain the drug in your body.
How It works:
Celexa the brand-name version of the drug citalopram is used to treat depression. This medication is part of a class of drugs known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) to increase levels of a substance called serotonin in the brain. Having more serotonin in your brain can improve symptoms of depression. It may improve your energy level and feelings of well-being.
Proper Use Of Celexa 30 mg:
Take Celexa exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow all rules and regulations on your prescription label and read all medication guides or instruction sheets. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose if any symptoms will notice within 4 to weeks.
Usually, take Celexa 30 mg once daily in the morning or evening with or without food as directed by your doctor. Be sure to tell your doctor and pharmacist about all the products you use including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products.
Follow your doctor’s instructions carefully such as follow:
- To reduce your risk of side effects, your doctor may suggest you start taking it at a low dose and gradually increase your dose.
- You should not increase your dose or use this drug more often or for longer than prescribed. It may not improve faster if you will take more medication, and your risk of side effects will increase.
- If you will take this medication regularly to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, take it at the same time each day.
- Tell your doctor if you want to stop Celexa 30 mg for any reason. Because, if you stop using Celexa 30 mg suddenly, you may have unpleasant symptoms such as agitation, confusion, tingling, or electric shock feelings.
- Ask your doctor before safely stopping the medicine. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist regularly.
- Store Celexa30 mg at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Before Taking This Medicine:
You should not use Celexa 30 mg if you are allergic to the ingredient of Celexa or Citalopram. Do not use Celexa within 2 weeks before or after using an MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days. MAO inhibitors include isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue injection, phenelzine, and tranylcypromine. A dangerous drug interaction could occur.
To make sure Celexa 30 mg is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have ever had:
- Heart problems
- High blood pressure
- A stroke
- Bleeding problems
- Sexual problems
- Liver or kidney disease
- Narrow-angle glaucoma
- Seizures or epilepsy
- Bipolar disorder (manic depression)
Tell your doctor without any confusion if you also use stimulant medicine, opioid medicine, herbal products, or medicine for depression, mental illness, Parkinson’s disease, migraine headaches, serious infections, or prevention of nausea and vomiting. An interaction with Celexa 30 mg could cause a serious condition called serotonin syndrome.
Missing A Dose:
If you miss Celexa 30 mg tablets, take the missed dose of your antidepressant as soon as you remember. However, do not take a double dose of this selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) even if you have missed several Celexa 30 mg.
If someone has taken overdosed accidentally or intentionally and has serious symptoms such as passing out or trouble breathing call a poison control center right away.
Celexa 30 mg Side Effects:
Different medication has their side effects. Celexa 30 mg is an oral tablet that can cause different side effects. Every patient’s side effects vary from each other. The side effects may common or severe according to toe the patient’s health condition.
More Common Side Effects:
- Sexual problems
- Dry mouth
- Respiratory infections
It is normal if it persists for one or two weeks but it may dangerous for more than two weeks. Tell your doctor freely.
Serious Side Effects:
Call your doctor right away if you have serious side effects.
Serious side effects and their symptoms can include the following:
- Suicidal thoughts or actions. Symptoms can include:
- Thoughts or attempts of suicide
- Acting aggressively or violently
- New or worse depression
- Restlessness, anger, irritability
- Trouble sleeping
- New or worse anxiety or panic attacks
- Acting on dangerous impulses
- Thoughts about suicide or dying
- Heart rhythm changes (QT prolongation and Torsade de Pointes)
- Chest pain
- Fast or slow heart rate
- Shortness of breath
- Dizziness or fainting
Other Symptoms occur the following patients:
- Symptoms of Serotonin syndrome: Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, muscle rigidity
- Symptoms of Mania: Severe trouble sleeping. racing thoughts, reckless behavior, unusually grand ideas, agitation, hallucinations, coma, confusion, difficulty thinking, coordination problems or muscle twitching (overactive reflexes), a racing heartbeat, high or low blood pressure, sweating or fever, excessive happiness or irritability
- Symptoms of Seizures: Convulsions, falling or sudden loss of muscle tone, sudden loss of awareness of surroundings, sudden loss of urine or bowel control,
- Symptoms of Visual problems: Eye pain, blurred vision, double vision, swelling or redness in or around your eyes.
Go to the doctor right now if you feel a severe condition after taking this medication.
Managing Side effects:
There are many side effects of Celexa 30 mg shows that last along with mild discomfort and severe. A person can manage some of the common side effects of this medication by implementing several lifestyle changes. such h as follows:
- Stop if you use alcohol.
- Increasing water intake (at least 8 glasses).
- Do not take caffeine drinks such as soda and coffee.
- Make sure not to fall asleep while still on medication.
- Getting regular exercise.
- Not taking any other medications without consulting your doctor otherwise it might cause adverse reactions.
- Go to the doctor immediately if you notice severe after taking this medication.
It should remember that certain medicines should not be used together at all. In these cases, your doctor may want to change the dose or suggest other precautions are necessary. When you are taking any prescription or without medicine, your doctor or healthcare must know. You should never take any of the below medications with Calexa 30 mg such as pain or migraine medicines (Rizatriptan, Sumatriptan, Frova, Imitrex, Ultram, Zomig Codeine, Dilaudid, Gabapentin, Hydrocodone, Oxycodone, Oxycontin, Lortab, Methadone, Norco, Opana ER, Percocet, Roxycodone, Heart medicine, Blood Pressure medicine, ADHD pills such as Adderall, Concerta, Evekeo, Dexedrine.
Alternative Drugs Use:
Alternative medicine is a medicine that describes medical treatments for use instead of traditional therapies. The followings are alternative medications for Celexa 30 mg:
You should consult the doctor if you want to alter the medication instead of Celexa 30 mg.