Concerta contains the generic drug methylphenidate in an Extended-Release formulation. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) first approved it in 2000. Concerta 18 mg is all-day relief from symptoms of ADHD (attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder). This medication is a central nervous system stimulant that is used to treat children and teens with ADHD. It can not prescribe to children who are under six years old.
For ADHD symptoms, Concerta 18 mg and Adderall XR, are one of the two most commonly prescribed medications for children. It helps to control all of the core symptoms of ADHD in children including inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity.
Availability Of The Medication:
The Nonmedicinal ingredients of Concerta are such as butylated hydroxytoluene, carnauba wax, cellulose acetate, hypromellose, lactose, phosphoric acid, poloxamer, polyethylene glycol, polyethylene oxides, povidone, propylene glycol, sodium chloride, stearic acid, succinic acid, synthetic iron oxides, titanium dioxide, and triacetin. The active ingredient in Concerta is methylphenidate HCl or Ritalin.
Concerta 18 mg For Children:
The doctor has prescribed Concerta 18 mg the children above 6 years, for ADHD. They should take the medication daily in the exact amount prescribed. Most important you should tell your child’s doctor about other medication complications or past substance use history and also monitor their growth while taking this medication.
How To Take & Store:
Concerta 18 mg is a tablet for oral administration. This medication can take in the morning with or without food as per the doctor’s prescription. And swallowed whole with the aid of liquids. Do not break, crush, or chew the tablet, as it is coated for extended release, because its quality may damage.
This medication is a controlled substance and should store at room temperature. Be aware to reach children to the medicine. You may require a new prescription from your healthcare provider for each refill.
Who Should Not Allow To Take Concerta 18 mg Pill?
The medication influences and affects the chemicals in the brain that control impulses and hyperactivity. Concerta 18 mg helps you to concentrate and pay attention more and control various behavior problems. But your doctor knows if You have a history of epilepsy, Depression
Drug and alcohol addiction, and Tourette’s syndrome then he does not allow to take it. Never use this drug if you have used an MAO inhibitor such as methylene blue injection, phenelzine, rasagiline, and selegiline in the last two weeks.
Concerta 18 mg Side Effects:
Every medicine has different types of side effects for the patient and also Concerta 18 mg Tablet has also major & minor side effects. Such as Nervousness, Difficulty in falling or staying asleep, Dizziness and Drowsiness, Nausea and Vomiting, Loss of appetite, Stomach pain, Diarrhea, Heartburn, Uncontrolled muscle movements, Burning, numbness, tingling in the arms and feet, Fast/irregular heartbeat, Chest pain, Shortness of breath, Excessive tiredness, Slurred speech, Blurred vision, etc. Go to the doctor immediately if you feel severe symptoms.
Missed Dose & Over Dose:
Concerta 18 mg lasts in the system for 12 hours. If the patient forgets to take it in the morning, skip it for the day. Your child will likely have trouble getting to sleep that night if it should take at night. Never use two tablets for making out the missed one. It may dangerous for the patient’s health.
Pregnant Woman & Nursing To Take Concerta 18 mg:
In the human pregnancy studies on the effects of Concerta 18 mg, it is not known whether the drug is passed via breast milk in small amounts or harms a baby. Therefore, it is necessary to talk to the doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are nursing before you take this medication.
Concerta Interactions 18 mg:
The doctor has warned about the interaction between food and medications. It may harm the patient. Such as the following:
Do not use this medicine if the patient has used an MAO inhibitor (MAOI) within the past 14 days.
- Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Stomach medicine: esomeprazole, famotidine, omeprazole, pantoprazole, sodium bicarbonate.
- Pain relief medication: Codeine, Dilaudid, Gabapentin, Hydrocodone, Lortab, Norco, Opana ER.
- Sleeping pills: Ambien, Sonata, Lunesta, Restoril, Rozerem.
- Medicine to treat depression: Ativan, Celexa, Lexapro, Klonopin, Xanax, Luvox, and Paxil.
- Medicine to treat seizures: phenobarbital, phenytoin, and primidone.
Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
This medicine may make you dizzy or cause blurred vision. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
Is Concerta 18 mg Habit-Forming?
The medication is a Schedule II controlled substance and can be habit-forming. Because the users may develop a tolerance to the drug over time. Make sure that you keep remembering the medication and never take more than prescribed.
It is illegal to give or sell the medication to others without any license. Talk freely to your doctor if you have a past history of substance dependence before you begin Concerta Therapy.
If you have developed an addiction to this medication, there will be some obvious signs. Common signs and symptoms of Concerta addiction and abuse include:
- Trying to get more Concerta 18 mg and use it
- Take more frequent or larger doses of Concerta 18 mg than necessary.
- Getting multiple medication prescriptions from several doctors.
- Severe experiencing withdrawal symptoms after the effects of Concerta wear off.
- Feeling like you can’t function normally without Concerta 18 mg.
- Having constant cravings for Concerta 18 mg.
- Experiencing health problems from the medication abuse but continuing to misuse it anyway
- Having relationship problems due to Concerta 18 mg misuse
- Neglecting personal responsibilities at home, school, or work for this drug.
- Having financial and relationship problems caused by Concerta 18 mg abuse
Go to the doctor for help on how to give up these medicines safely.
Every medication has different types of withdrawal symptoms when the doctor advises it to wear off. According to the patient’s health condition and duration to take withdrawal effects has severity to the patient.
Some withdrawal symptoms can include:
- Severe depression
- Difficulty sleeping
- Suicidal thoughts/behaviors
- Strong cravings for Concerta 18 mg
- Unpleasant dreams
If you are experiencing Concerta 18 mg withdrawal, it is highly recommended that you seek professional help to detox. Because the withdrawal can cause severe depression that can lead to suicidal thoughts or behaviors.
Before taking this medication tell the doctor about your history and what is your eating habits. The doctor will better guide you in controlling ADHD symptoms. Some warnings are provided before taking this medication.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart or blood vessel disease, heart rhythm problems, high blood pressure, circulation problems, thyroid problems, asthma, or a history of seizures, heart attack, or stroke.
- If you or anyone in your family has a history of depression, suicide, bipolar disorder, mental health problems, or drug or alcohol abuse go to the doctor and tell him truly.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- Severe allergic reactions find out after taking this medication tell your doctor.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or cause blurred vision. For this reason, you should not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Before you have surgery, tell the doctor who treats you that you are using this medicine. When you use this medicine it will increase your blood pressure at the time of surgery.
- Never share your medicine with anyone.
Your doctor will do lab tests on the effects of this medicine. So, at regular visits to the doctor and keep check-ups.
Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs)
Is Concerta 18 mg a stimulant?
Yes, most medications used to treat ADHD, including the various types of methylphenidate (such as Ritalin and Concerta) and amphetamine (such as Adderall), are considered controlled substances.
Concerta is a brand name to sell Methylphenidate and works as the Central Nervous System stimulant for a controlled substance.
Can Concerta 18 mg cause anxiety?
People who take Concerta 18 mg may experience irritability and anxiety as common side effects. Concerta can worsen symptoms of mental illness, such as hallucinations, and it may increase aggressive behavior among children or teens.
It is used for the treatment of ADHD. And Concerta should not be consumed by people who have anxiety or agitation as it worsens the conditions.
How long do I need to use Concerta 18 Mg Tablet before I see improvement in my condition?
In most cases, the average time after taking this medication to reach its peak effect is around 1 day to 1 week. Please consult your doctor for the time period you need to use this medication.