Concerta (Methylphenidate) is a prescription stimulant that can help to control Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) symptoms i.e. overactivity, lack of attention, and impulsivity which can affect one’s academic, professional, and social life. Concerta 27 mg is approved for use in children over 6 years and adults under 65 years.
It is only available as an Extended-Release preparation where medication is slowly released into the body over time. This medication works by improving the brain’s communication with each other.
What Form(s) Does Concerta Come In?
Medicine comes in different forms.
- Long Acting Dissolving Tablet
- Long Acting Capsule
- Long Acting Tablet
It is available in a tablet form that must be swallowed and comes in different colors and shapes18 mg, 27 mg, 36 mg, and 54 mg strengths.
Concerta 18 mg: Each drug has in yellow colored with a capsule-shaped, extended-release tablet. It is printed with “alza 18”, and contains 18 mg of methylphenidate HCl.
Concerta 27 mg: Concerta 27 mg colors are gray with a capsule-shaped extended-release tablet. It contains 27 mg of methylphenidate HCl and is printed with “alza 27”.
Concerta 36 mg: The capsule-shaped each white-colored extended-release tablet. Contains 36 mg of methylphenidate HCl and is printed with “alza 36”,
Concerta 54 mg: The brownish-red colored capsule-shaped extended-release tablet has printed with “alza 54”, and contains 54 mg of methylphenidate HCl.
How is Concerta 27 mg Supposed To Work:
The medication belongs to a class of medications called stimulants. It works by enhancing to increase the levels in your brain of two neurotransmitters (chemical messengers) called norepinephrine and dopamine. Increasing these neurotransmitter levels helps to stimulate your brain, which can improve the symptoms of ADHD. It is blocking transmitters in your brain that reabsorb after their chemical. It is released into the Central Nervous System. This lets the neurons in your brain send and receive signals in a better way, so you can focus.
Concerta 27 mg works also works to control your behavioral issues along with increasing attention by activating the underactive brain cells. The overall effect leads to an increase in concentration and organizational power. Concentra 27 mg works under a treatment program that includes psychological, educational, and social therapy.
The minimum dose is 18 mg used for the above 6 years old age child. The maximum dose is 72 mg in the worse condition it is applied. Older teens and adults may be prescribed two 36 mg tablets a day as per the prescription of a doctor.
What are the ingredients used in Concerta 27 mg?
The active ingredient of Concerta 27 mg is Methylphenidate Hydrochloride(27 mg). The other(inactive) ingredients are Butylhydroxytoluene, Propylene Glycol, Cellulose Acetate, Hypromellose, Poloxamer 188, Phosphoric Acid, Iron Oxide Black, Macrogol 400, Carnauba Wax, Succinic Acid, Povidone K29-32, Polyethylene Oxides 200K, Lactose Monohydrate and Stearic Acid.
Half-Life Concerta 27 mg:
The medication effect is its short half-life. Concerta 27 mg does not stay in patients’ systems for very long. Typically it is metabolized within a few days. It is important to understand, though, that everyone’s body is different, for this reason. This medicine may stay in some patients’ systems longer than others.
How Do You Start Therapy?
Concerta 27 mg pill should only be taken if your doctor has prescribed it to you. Consult with your doctor about whether you or your child are responding to the medication. You should take this medication by mouth with or without food as directed by your doctor, usually once daily in the morning. You should not take it late in the day because it may cause trouble sleeping (insomnia). Swallow this medication with a full glass of liquid. Do not crush or chew this medication.
Every time you get a refill, make a point to read the Medication Guide to properly understand the working and results of the medication.
If there are any medical conditions, mental health issues, or past substance use problems that might require a different drug, discuss them with your doctor before starting the pills Also, monitor for potential side effects.
It is highly suggested to not stop the medication in between. It can lead to moderate to severe adverse withdrawal effects. The withdrawal symptoms can include suicidal thoughts, nausea, nervousness, mental/mood changes, and occasional depression. If you feel the need to stop the pills, contact your doctor first.
Things to consider before taking Concerta 27 mg pills:
Do not take the pills if you have:
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Borderline Personality Disorder
Over-Dose & Missed Dose Of Concerta 27 mg Pill:
A drug overdose is If you are taking too much of a substance, whether it’s prescription, over-the-counter, legal, or illegal. Drug overdoses may be accidental or intentional. Overdose is likely to occur if you have a history of substance use disorder. In such cases, do tell your doctor before the medicine starts.
If you have taken more than the recommended amount of Concerta 27 mg makes enough to have a harmful effect on your body’s functions, you have overdosed. An overdose can lead to serious medical complications, including death.
There are some symptoms that can help understand the cases of overdose such as passing out, flushing, confusion, hallucinations, vomiting, and minor seizures. Keep a check on such symptoms.
More than 85% of patients occasionally miss a dose of their medication intentionally or accidentally. The doctor plans to patients what to do if a dose is missing. Consumer Medicine Information sheets are available for most commonly prescribes medications. It contains a section on what to do if a dose is missing. But regular missing doses of Concerta 27 mg have not improved health conditions.
Take your medicine at a regular time every day to avoid cases of missed doses. Also if missed, take the dose as soon as you remember. If the time between the missed dose and the next dose is significantly less, skip the missed dose. Taking 2 doses together can lead to overdosing.
Possible Side Effects Of Concerta 27 mg:
The side effect of the medication is unwanted or undesirable effects. These can vary from person to person from minor problems like a runny nose to life-threatening events, such as a heart attack or liver damage. These can happen with almost any medicine. These side effects can include in common and serious.
The most common side effects of Concerta 27 mg include:
- Excessive sweating,
- Mood changes,
- Nervousness or irritability
- Sleep problems (insomnia)
- Fast heart rate
- Pounding heartbeat or fluttering in your chest
- Increased blood pressure
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Dry mouth
- Stomach pain
Concerta 27 mg may cause serious side effects including:
- Chest pain
- Trouble breathing
- Cold feeling
- Unexplained wounds
- Painful erection or an erection lasting over 4 hours
- Changes in skin color
- Extreme mood swings
- Blurred Vision
- Sudden Hearing of sound
- Left arm/Jaw pain(symptoms of heart attack)
- Trouble in speaking
- Swelling on face
Get medical help right away, if you have any of the symptoms listed above.
What are the warnings & precautions needed while using Concerta 27 mg?
- This medication may have some inactive components that can react to your allergies(if any) especially if you are allergic to Methylphenidate or Dexmethylphenidate. Be sure to discuss all your allergies before the treatment starts.
- Tell your doctor about all other medications and herbal products that you are consuming before the medication starts. Especially mention if you have or ever had Raynaud’s disease, heart attack in the previous 6 months, Glaucoma, family history of cardiac health, personal or family history of depression or psychosis, tics, (hyperthyroidism, Tourette’s syndrome or any intestinal problems.
- Limit alcoholic beverages or any other kind of drink that causes dizziness. Also, Concerta 27 mg can cause dizziness and reduce alertness. Do not take it with alcohol. Also, avoid doing activities that require alertness while the effect of the drug can be felt.
- If your child is on the medication, make sure to check his height, weight, and growth rate at proper intervals. The pills can temporarily stop the growth in a child, so if that is your case, make sure to immediately consult your doctor. If not, constantly monitor your child’s health just to be sure.
- If the medication is taken by an older adult, then there are comparatively more chances of experiencing side effects such as trouble sleeping and chest pain. Be on the lookout for adults with such side effects.
- Be extremely cautious about your health if you have liver or kidney issues, epilepsy, food pipe blockage, convulsions, and bipolar disorder.
Medicine interaction is a reaction between two (or more) drugs or between a drug and food, beverage, or supplement. Taking a drug while having certain medical conditions or diseases can also cause a drug interaction.
Medicines that interact with Concerta 27 mg may either decrease its effect, affect how long it works, increase side effects, or have less of an effect.
Common medications that may interact with Concerta 27 mg include:
- Blood thinners medication such as warfarin, or other drugs that have blood thinning effects such as aspirin or NSAIDs
- Anticonvulsants, such as phenytoin, phenobarbital, or primidone
- Antidepressants, such as Klonopin, Lexapro, Luvox, Paxil, Xanax, Prozac, Valium Celexa, Ativan, tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline), selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, serotonin & norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor’, monoamine oxidase inhibitors (eg, isocarboxazid, phenelzine, safinamide, methylene blue, rasagiline, procarbazine, linezolid, moclobemide, selegiline, metaxalone, and tranylcypromine), or SSRIs (eg, fluoxetine, sertraline)
- Heart medications such as clonidine or methyldopa
- HIV medications (fosamprenavir, ritonavir)
- Other medications that affect serotonin, such as amphetamines, fentanyl, lithium, tramadol, Oxycontin, Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, Gabapentin, Lortab, Percocet, Dilaudid, Methadone, Roxycodone, Soma, Codeine, triptans (eg, almotriptan, eletriptan, or sumatriptan)
- Do not use medicines containing Dexmethylphenidate as an active component. It has a composition very similar to Methylphenidate that can cause a reaction and hence should be avoided.
- Concerta 27 mg can also interact with brain scan results. Be sure to tell the lab personnel in case you get a lab test.
Every doctor restriction to take drinking alcohol or taking illegal drugs while taking Concerta 27 mg.
Concerta 27 mg & Breastfeeding:
The doctor always avoids most medicines while you’re breastfeeding. Because a small amount of any medicine you take may pass through your breast milk to your baby. Generally, its amounts are very low, and very few medicines are unsafe while you’re breastfeeding. When taking Concerta 27 mg, without consulting the doctor may be side effects on your babies, such as increased sleepiness, rash, and severe diarrhea.
Concerta 27 mg & Pregnancy:
Some prescription and nonprescription medicines are not safe to use during pregnancy because they can cause problems such as birth defects. Tell your provider about any medicine you take. You may need to stop taking a medicine that’s safer during pregnancy. Don’t stop taking prescription medicine without talking to your doctors first. Make sure the doctor who prescribes Concerta 27 mg for you knows that you are pregnant.
Store Medicine Safely:
Storing any medicines properly can help to work positively as well as prevent poisoning accidents. You should store your medicine which can affect how well it works.
Take care of your medicine the following way:
- Avoid heat, air, light, and moisture that may damage the medicine.
- Store your medicines in a cool, dry place.
- store it in your drawer or cabinet away from the stove, sink, and any hot appliances. You can also store all the medicine in a storage box, on a shelf, or in a closet.
- Your medicines can become less potent, or they may go bad before the expiration date if you store them near the heating chamber. Pills and capsules can easily damage by heat and moisture. This makes you irritate the stomach.
- Always keep medicine in its original container.
- Do not flush the pills if they are not of any use. Rather contact your nearest waste disposal company or your pharmacist to know the best possible way to dispose the pills without harming nature.
Go to your doctor for a regular check-up that may require a new prescription from your doctor for each refill. If any doubt please go to the doctor immediately without losing your time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Concerta 27 mg is best for which age group?
The type of dose suggested by a doctor is based on the body’s adaptation to that particular dose. Generally, the 27 mg dose is prescribed for patients between the age of 16 years to 36 years. However, this is not a hard limit.
Q. How long does Concerta 27 mg take to show effect?
It takes around an hour for Concerta 27 mg pills to show its effects. It is suggested to be consumed in the morning on a daily basis to form a proper schedule. The side effects can last up to 12 hours after the consumption. These side effects however can range from mild to severe.
Q. Does Concerta 27 mg create a feeling of happiness?
Concerta 27 mg reacts and alters the dopamine level of the body and makes the person feel high which can be interpreted as feeling happy.