Ativan belongs to a group of medications called benzodiazepines. It is thought that lorazepam works by enhancing the activity of certain neurotransmitters in the brain.
Ativan 2 mg may be prescribed for the disorder as follows:
- It is primarily used to treat epilepsy (status epilepticus) i.e. a chronic disorder characterized by episodes of seizures (fits) and anxiety disorder.
- This is a short-term therapy for sleeping difficulties due to anxiety disorder. This is a mental health disorder characterized by feelings of excessive fear or worry that affect an individual’s daily activities.
- It may also be used as a sedative before surgery.
Works & Ingredients Of Ativan:
Ativan contains the active ingredient of lorazepam and inactive ingredients are lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, and polacrilin potassium. After taking this medication in high doses, it increases the action of a chemical messenger (GABA). This chemical suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain and raises dopamine. You can feel-good neurotransmitters in the brain, causing a euphoric feeling.
Different Forms & Strength Of Ativan:
The generic name of Ativan is lorazepam and is often less expensive than the brand-name version. In some cases, the brand-name drug and the generic version may be available in different forms and strengths.
Forms of Ativan:
Ativan comes as follows forms:
- A tablet forms that you swallow.
- The liquid solution forms that you’ll receive as an injection into a vein or muscle from your doctor.
Strengths Of Ativan:
Ativan tablet: Ativan tablet comes in three strengths: 0.5 mg, 1 mg, and 2 mg.
Liquid solution: Ativan liquid solution is available in two strengths in: 2 milligrams per milliliter of solution (mg/mL) and 4 mg/mL.
Both the tablet and solution form of Ativan is available as generic medications.
Factors Affect On Dosage:
The doctor prescribes Ativan dosage may depend on several factors. These include:
- The type and severity of the condition you’re using the drug to treat
- Your age, gender.
- The form of Ativan you are using.
- Your kidney and liver function.
- Other conditions you may have.
- Response to the medication.
Dosage Of Taking Ativan 2 mg:
According to the body structure, mental activity, and response to the medication, the doctor prescribes the exact dose to the patient. The dosage of taking Ativan differs from adults to children. The dosages are:
- Usually, adults with anxiety will take Ativan 2-3 mg dose initially taking it 2-3 times a day. The standard dosage for anxiety disorders or anxiety will 2–6 mg take daily in three divided doses per day. Maximum dosage for anxiety disorders or anxiety: 10 mg per day
- Ativan is FDA approved as a sedative to relieve insomnia due to anxiety or situational stress. The standard dosage for insomnia patients will take Ativan 2 – 4 mg at bedtime. This will be used only in the short term, usually no more than four months.
Process Of Ativan 2 mg Taking:
Generally, Ativan comes in tablet forms that you swallow as a whole. It may use as a liquid solution that’s given as an injection. The form of Ativan your doctor prescribes will depend on the patient’s health conditions. Ativan 2 mg mustn’t stop suddenly without talking to the doctor as it may increase seizure frequency. After taking this medication you should lie down in bed for 2 hours. Because it reduces dizziness and vomiting.
Always take Ativan 2 mg tablets by mouth with or without food. Taking it at the same time each day helps to maintain a consistent level of medicine in the body.
If you are prescribed the injection form of Ativan, your doctor will administer the injections into a vein or muscle. In most cases, injections are given as part of a surgical procedure or as an urgent treatment to stop a seizure.
Side Effects Of Ativan 2 mg Pill:
After using any medication it has fewer or more side effects. Every patient experiences different symptoms of side effects. Some people can experience side effects for much longer – days, months, or indefinitely. Ativan 2 mg may have major side effects and some common side effects.
Following are some side effects after taking Ativan 2 mg. Such as:
- Rebound anxiety
- Loss of pleasure in day-to-day experiences
- Memory problem
- Learning difficulties
- Daytime sleepiness
- Blurry vision
- Stomach pain
- Low energy levels
- Poor muscle coordination
- Loss of balance
- Blood in stool or urine
- Weight loss
- Pale, cool skin
- Involuntary movements (tremors, shaking)
Do not waste your time. Go to the doctor immediately if you notice the above symptoms are severe.
Prevent Food-Drug Interactions With Ativan 2 mg:
The presence of food in the digestive tract may reduce the absorption of a drug. To avoid such interactions, patients should take the drug 1 hour before or 2 hours after eating.
Direct interactions can result in serious side effects that may need immediate medical attention.
Drug interaction is a reaction that occurs when taking a drug while having a certain medical condition. Ativan 2 mg may interact with antianxiety or antiepileptic medicines (carbamazepine, fluvoxamine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), anti-HIV drugs (amprenavir, ritonavir), acidity medicine (cimetidine), medicines used to treat chronic alcoholism (disulfiram), anti TB drug (rifampicin), anti-Parkinson’s drug (levodopa), asthma drugs (theophylline), and antidepressants.
Some other medicines interact with Ativan 2 mg:
You should always inform your doctor if you will take any of the medication above.
Drug-food interaction is a reaction between a drug and a food or beverage. Consumption of Grapefruit, grapefruit juice, and caffeine-containing food or drinks, alcohol is not recommended during treatment with this medicine due to the increased risk of side effects such as difficulty concentrating and dizziness.
It is advised that you do not do any activities that require high mental alertness such as driving a vehicle or operating machinery if you consume alcohol during treatment with this medicine.
Because it may affect your body and mind as they can affect the working of Ativan 2 mg.
You should consult your doctor if you have acute alcohol intoxication, glaucoma, drug dependence, renal/liver disease, respiratory depression, seizures, prolonged hypotension, prematurity, depression, obesity, paradoxical reactions, and upper gastrointestinal disease.
This medicine is not recommended for use in patients with a history of glaucoma due to the increased risk of worsening the patient’s condition.
Impaired kidney function:
This medicine should use with caution in patients with a history of kidney diseases due to the increased risk of adverse effects. It needs to have close monitoring of kidney function tests while receiving this medicine.
Impaired liver function:
This medicine should use with extreme caution in patients suffering from liver diseases. It may increase the risk of serious adverse effects including coma. It is necessary to close monitoring of liver function tests while receiving this medicine. Report any symptoms of jaundice to the doctor on priority.
This medicine should restricted to a known history of respiratory disorders. It may worsen the patient’s condition. Close monitoring of lung function is recommended for such patients.
Precaution Of Ativan 2 mg:
Before using Ativan 2 mg, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history such as kidney disease, liver disease, glaucoma, lung/breathing problems, sleep apnea, mental/mood disorders, depression, psychosis, personal or family history of substance use disorder such as overuse of or addiction to drugs/alcohol.
- Tell your doctor about all medications you are currently taking i.e. prescription medication, vitamins, or supplements, tell freely to your doctor to ensure safe dietary habits.
- Follow directions and warnings located on the container.
- Create a medication schedule.
- Before taking Ativan 2 mg, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or to other benzodiazepines (such as alprazolam, clonazepam, diazepam); or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which may cause allergic reactions or other problems.
- If the medicine is causing you any discomfort or sickness, talk to your physician or doctor about adjusting or changing medication.
- Ativan 2 mg Tablet may decrease alertness, affect your vision or make you feel sleepy and dizzy. It may dangerous to drive after taking this medication,
- Doctors restrict taking Ativan 2 mg during pregnancy. she should inform her doctor if she is pregnant, and planning for a baby, while she is taking this medication.
- A breastfeeding mother should inform her doctor if she has taken the medication.
Storing Of Ativan 2 mg:
- Store tightly closed at room temperature, away from moisture and heat.
- You should store the liquid form of lorazepam in the refrigerator. Throw away any liquid not used within 90 days.
- Keep your medicine in a place where no one can use it improperly.
- It strictly avoid to use Ativan 2 mg for the child and pets. So you should keep it in a safe p[place where no one can take it for use.