Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is one of the most common neurodevelopmental disorders occurring in children and adults. Most people are usually diagnosed with ADHD in childhood while the conditions may continue into adulthood. Some people find that they are recovering from ADHD or their symptoms are improving as they are getting aged and some people are not diagnosed until adulthood.
Vyvanse and Adderall are the two popular prescription medications approved by the FDA and are used mainly for the treatment of ADHD. Both of these drugs work by equilibrating the brain neurotransmitters that cause issues linked with impulsiveness and hyperactivity. This often leads to people thinking that both medicines are interchangeable which is definitely not the case.
In this article, we are going to compare and learn the difference between Vyvanse and Adderall and will also analyze their uses, dosage, and side effects.
The Basic Introduction of Vyvanse and Adderall:
What is Vyvanse?
Vyvanse is a brand name for Lisdexamfetamine (in generic form), a stimulant that works for the Central Nervous System. It makes its impact on the chemicals of the brain and nerves that make their contribute to controlling hyperactivity and impulse control.
It is an FDA-approved drug to deal with ADHD in adults and children who are 6 years and above. Apart from that it is also used for the treatment of Binge Eating Disorder (BED) in suffering adults. Vyvanse is not approved to handle obesity or weight loss. It is available in the form of oral capsules and is available with different dosage strengths ranging from Vyvanse 10 mg up to Vyvanse 70 mg. However, the prescribed dosage can depend upon the person’s age, weight, condition severity, etc.
What is Adderall?
Adderall is a brand name comprising a combination of Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine generic drugs. This drug can also be considered as the companion of Vyvanse as both functions for the central nervous system in the form of stimulants also known as central nervous system stimulants. It is also FDA-approved and can treat ADHD disorder and narcolepsy in both children and adults.
This drug is available in the form of oral tablets and capsules. The varied dosage strengths of Adderall come in AD 5 mg up to Adderall 30 mg orange tablet. The dosage prescribed totally depends upon the individual’s age, weight, the severity of his condition, etc. The active ingredients in Adderall are Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine salts in a ratio of 3:1.
Precautions for using Vyvanse and Adderall:
What precautions should be taken care while using Vyvanse?
- Follow the directions and take Vyvanse as prescribed by your doctor/physician.
- Only take this medicine if it is recommended by your healthcare provider, as taking it in larger amounts or for a longer duration can have some complications.
- This drug may be habit-forming, sharing this medicine with someone who is or was a drug addict can cause severe health problems.
- The doctor can change your dose according to your condition.
- Dosage strength available for this drug can range from 10 mg to 70 mg and how to take it depends on the physician.
What precautions should be taken care while using Adderall?
- Take Adderall as prescribed by your doctor/physician.
- You have to take this medicine with food to avoid stomach problems.
- Only take this medicine in the dose recommended by your doctor, as taking it in larger amounts or for a longer duration, can have adverse effects.
- This drug is basically taken in the morning for maximum results, but if needed it may be taken in the afternoon.
- It is important to start with a low dose and increase gradually as needed to avoid side effects.
- The doctor can change your dose according to your condition.
- This drug comes in a range of dosage strength from 5 mg to 30 mg and a prescription is mandatory before taking this medicine.
For what purposes are Vyvanse and Adderall used?
Uses of Vyvanse for ADHD and BED:
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a neurodevelopmental disorder that is indicated by inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity. Vyvanse can help to improve attention and focus, reduce hyperactivity, and control impulsive behavior in people with ADHD.
Binge Eating Disorder (BED) is an eating disorder that is characterized by recurrent episodes of binge eating with no feelings of guilt and shame. In adult BED sufferers, Vyvanse also aids in controlling binge eating.
Mentioned below are some of the other possible uses:
- Vyvanse is sometimes used as an off-label drug to treat obesity. Nevertheless, the FDA has not given approval for this usage.
- Vyvanse is used for improving cognitive functioning in healthy people but in an unauthorized way, as more research is needed to determine its safety and efficacy for this use.
Uses of Adderall for ADHD and Narcolepsy:
ADHD is a disorder belonging to the category of neurodevelopmental that is characterized by inattention, hyperactivity, lack of interest, and impulsivity. People with this disorder may have difficulty paying attention, following instructions, and sitting still. Adderall helps in the same way as Vyvanse, like improving focus, reducing hyperactivity, and controlling impulsive behavior in individuals.
Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder that is indicated by excessive daytime sleepiness, cataplexy (sudden loss of muscle tone), and sleep paralysis. For the person who is suffering from immoderate daytime sleepiness and cataplexy, this drug helps in reducing the condition.
Do Vyvanse and Adderall have side effects?
Side Effects of Vyvanse:
- Anxious or feeling irritated
- Fast heart rate or pounding heartbeats
- Sleep problems
- Dry mouth
- Loss in weight
Side Effects of Adderall:
- Dry mouth
- High blood pressure
- Mood swings
- Muscle twitches
- Loss in body weight
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach ache
- Trouble breathing
Difference Between Vyvanse and Adderall: Explained
Now compare Vyvanse and Adderall to find out some differences between them. So, here is an overview of the comparison of both drugs for ADHD:
- The most important difference between Vyvanse and Adderall is that Vyvanse holds only one type of amphetamine salt which is known as lisdexamfetamine. On the other hand, Adderall comes with the composition of four different kinds of amphetamine salts which are dextroamphetamine saccharate, amphetamine aspartate, dextroamphetamine sulfate, and amphetamine sulfate.
- Lisdexamfetamine salt is available in Vyvanse and when it goes into the body it gets converted into dexamphetamine which is already available in Adderall.
- An advantage of Vyvanse is that it may be less likely to be abused. However, there are no deadlocked proceedings which are available to compare the abuse possibility of Vyvanse to Adderall.
- Vyvanse provides 10 to 12 hours of symptom control and takes up to 1 hour before it first takes effect. Adderall can last for 10 hours, but the immediate-release formulation only lasts 6 hours.
From the above, we have seen the two popular drugs that are used in the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Binge Eating Disorder (BED) and Narcolepsy. A key point that is to be noted here is that both drugs may be habit-forming and can be abused. Therefore, it is necessary to take these medications as prescribed by your doctor/physician.