Modafinil and Adderall both are medicines used to treat Sleeping Disorders, but both have their own benefits, side effects, and differences that make them different from each other. Modafinil improves wakefulness and decision-making but does not make you smarter like Adderall. Whereas Adderall causes addiction which Modafill doesn’t cause. There are some differences that are necessary to know before taking a dose of any one of them. It is also necessary to know which one is more suitable for you. So, to know the difference between them and quench your thirst for answers, we will be providing you with a detailed analysis of Modafinil vs Adderall.
Introduction to the medicines: Working Explained
Modafinil is a non-amphetamine central nervous system stimulant that has wakefulness-promoting properties. Modafinil is used to overcome sleepiness and Sleep Disorders caused by narcolepsy and shift work sleeping disorder. Sometimes it is also used as a smart drug by students and soldiers. How Modafinil works in the Brain is not exactly known, but it is thought to work by activating the histaminergic system in our brain through orexinergic neurons (Histamine works to promote wakefulness and increase orexin level).
Adderall is a trade name for a combination drug called mixed amphetamine salts containing four salts of amphetamine. It is used in the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Adderall affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to hyperactivity and impulsive control. Adderall works by increasing levels of dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine in the brain, thus bringing the brain from a state of overstimulation to a normal state of stimulation. It should not be used to treat tiredness and to hold the sleep.
Benefits of Modafinil and Adderall:
Benefits of Modafinil:
- Modafinil is a medicine used to overcome extensive sleepiness and sleeping disorders due to narcolepsy (oversleeping disease), neurological disorder, Cognitive dissonance, etc.
- This medicine helps the patient to stay awake during work hours.
- The medication can only help you if you have any sleeping disorder.
- It helps a person to enhance their capability to make decisions, planning, alertness, and have fluid intelligence.
- This medicine is safe for most people with fewer side effects.
Benefits of Adderall:
- This medication helps to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Narcolepsy.
- It increases the ability to pay attention, increase focus, and also helps in decision-making.
- It also helps to control behavior problems and sleeping disorders.
- Adderall increases your energy level and improves your mood.
- The long-term use of this medicine helps to improve Brain Development and Nerve Growth.
Side Effects of both medications: Modafinil vs Adderall
All the medicines come with side effects. If the side effect of the pills is greater than the benefits, immediately stop the medication. Modafinil usually is not reactive and does not cause severe side effects but in case you feel discomfort, immediately inform your doctor. Some of the side effects of using Modafinil are:
- Loss of Appetite
- Difficult Breathing and Swelling
- Increase Heart Rate and Blood Pressure
- Mental illness
- Uncontrollable Shaking of a part of the body
Adderall is a great medicine when it comes to treating sleep disorders but no matter how great a medicine is, it always has some side effects. Adderall is more reactive than Modafinil and hence more prone to side effects. If you or anyone taking Adderall face the below-given side effects, contact your paramedics immediately.
- Irregular/Fast Heartbeat
- Serotonin Syndrome
- Allergic Reactions
- Change in vision
Precautions needed while using Modafinil and Adderall:
Precautions for Modafinil:
- Do not take an overdose as it may cause agitation, a fast or pounding heartbeat, trouble sleeping, and increased blood pressure.
- If Modafinil is not working properly after taking it for a few weeks then don’t increase its dose. Instead, consult your doctor for a better choice of action.
- This medicine may also affect multiple body organs like the liver, heart, brain, and blood vessels. So, if you are experiencing any issue related to any organ, stop taking the dose immediately and discuss it with your doctor.
- One of the major and most dangerous side effects of Modafinil is depression. It can even lead to suicides. Tell your doctor if you feel your depression escalating with a dangerously high speed.
- Stop using this medicine and call your doctor if you are feeling skin rash; hives; itching; trouble swallowing; or any swelling in your hand, mouth, or face as this medicine may cause a serious type of allergy called anaphylaxis. (A life-threatening allergy and in this immediate medical attention is necessary).
- Tell your doctor about all the major and minor allergies that you have faced. This would help the doctor choose a stable variation of Modafinil for you.
Precautions for Adderall:
- Do not take this medicine if you have been taking MOA Inhibition in the past 14 days.
- In Adderall, a high level of serotonin exists so before taking any other medicine consult your doctor about it because it causes serotonin syndrome which is very dangerous for health.
- Tell your doctor if your condition does not improve or it is getting worse during the medication.
- This medicine may be addictive and it may affect you more if you are also taking alcohol. Simply consume the pills with water without dissolving or crushing them.
- If you are allergic to any other medicine containing ingredients of Adderall, then talk to a doctor first before taking it.
- If you stop this medicine suddenly without consulting the doctor it may cause withdrawal symptoms and problems like sleeplessness, tiredness, change in mood, etc. Stop the pills slowly and gradually. In doing so your doctor may lower your dose slowly.
The best ways to take Modafinil and Adderall:
How to take Modafinil:
Modafinil is available in the form of a tablet that can be taken simply with the mouth. It is taken once a day with or without food. If you are taking it for a shift per sleep disorder then consume it 1 hour before the shift will start and if you are taking it to treat narcolepsy then take it once in the morning. Because this medicine has also its own side effects it is necessary to consult with a doctor before taking it. Do not change the time of taking medicine and take it at the same time every day so that the pill works systematically and perfectly.
How to take Adderall:
Read the medication guide provided by your Pharmacist before you start taking it. Take medicine 1 to 3 times a day with or without food as said by your doctor. Take the first dose early in the morning. Try to take the pills in a systematic order as taking them unsystematically may cause sleeplessness (insomnia). Doses are adjustable by your doctor according to your body’s reaction and adjustment to the pills.
With this, the blog comes to an end. Here we have tried to cover all the important points that would help you understand the actual functioning of Modafinil and Adderall. Both medications have their pros and cons. We suggest going for the medicine that best suits your body as well as your needs. But no matter the medication you go for, do not proceed without consulting the doctor.