Oxycodone 80 mg is made by utilizing a semi-synthetic opioid, Oxycodone, an analgesic derivative from Thebaine. Thebaine is a natural alkaloid extracted from papaver somniferum (poppy seeds) resins. The oxy drug is on the essential medicines list of the WHO World Health Organization as it is beneficial to relieve moderate to severe persistent pain when non-opioid remedies and medicines fail. This is regulated under the Controlled Substances Act Schedule II.
How Does Oxy 80 function?
Oxy 80 extended-release works by activating the opioid receptor. It is an agonist(a chemical that works as a receptor activator) of μ opioid receptor (MOR). It is called extended release as it is metabolized at a slower speed. After binding Oxycodone with MOR, a g-protein complex is released resulting in inhibiting the release of neurotransmitters. That is how it relieves the pain.
Uses of Oxycodone 80:
Oxy pills come in two release schemes namely immediate release and extended release. Immediate release is used for acute or chronic moderate to severe pain while extended release is recommended when the patient requires long-term opioid treatment and other alternatives are not sufficient.
Medical practitioners and doctors sometimes recommend oxycodone in combination with naloxone. this off-label prescription is helpful in severe restless legs syndrome.
Note: Children in the US can be prescribed oxycodone medicines(oxycontin) for severe pain remedies as it is approved by the FDA.
Side Effects of Oxycodone 80mg:
The severe side effects of Oxy 80 mg(oc 80) include trouble in respiration and sleep apnoea(that is breathing stops or slows down in sleep) but with time almost every side effect becomes less intense over time. Besides these there are some Common side effects:
- Low blood pressure
- Muscle Weakness
- Physical dependence
and some least common side effects are:
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Urinary retention
- Low libido
Withdrawal Symptoms Of 80 mg Oxycodone:
Withdrawal Symptoms usually occur when/if a patient suddenly tries to stop the dosage of medicine. People using Oxycodone 80 mg for recreational purposes or consuming higher than prescribed amounts are at higher risk of severe withdrawal symptoms. These symptoms are panic attacks, Severe pain, insomnia, weakness in muscles, anxiety, muscle pain, and fever. In many patients, physical dependence has developed due to continuous intake of Oxy 80.
It has also been reported that newborns show withdrawal symptoms if their mother has been on an oxycodone prescription.
Precaution of Oxy 80:
Oxycodone 80 is a slightly strong dose hence special needs to be taken care of. Here are some precautions mentioned:
- In the case of extended release, the remedial impact of the pill should be slower than immediate release so the patient need not swallow the pill directly.
- It should not be crushed or chewed as it will react instantly.
- Always taken with water or other fluids.
- Oxy pills are an opioid, semi-synthetic one, thus they should be consumed only by opioid-tolerant patients.
- There is a high probability of toxicity due to an overdose of this medicine.
- Although there is no evidence of pregnancy-related side effects or adverse impacts still it is not advisable for pregnant and lactating women.
Interaction of Oxycodone 80 mg:
Like other medicines, Oxy 80 mg also has some potential interaction tendencies. Few interactions with other medicines can impact health adversely while some are mild. The clearance(excretion from the patient’s body) of Oxycodone can be altered by mainly two enzymes namely CYP3A4 and CYP2D6. These enzymes are responsible for metabolism in the case of Oxycodone 80 intake.
CYP3A4 can increase the half-life of the dose on the other hand, CYP2D6 can decrease the half-life ultimately impacting the potency of the drug. Fosphenytoin reduces the analgesic effects of Oxycodone in chronic pain patients by inducing CYP3A4.
Interactions are responsible for impacting various factors like drug metabolism, sedative activities, etc. which are explained further:
Drug metabolism is the breakdown of drugs by the human body through biochemical transformation. Interaction of oxycodone 80 mg with other drugs or medicines can result in dose inefficiency. If metabolism is at a higher rate then it is of less or no use. Similarly, a lower rate of drug metabolism increases the chances of addiction and ultimately has more adverse impacts on health than benefits from drugs.
Name of tablets/medicines resulting in decreased metabolism of 80 mg Oxycodone:
Name of tablets/medicines resulting in increased metabolism of 80mg Oxycodone:
Name of tablets/medicines resulting in severe CNS(central nervous system) depression:
Name of tablets/medicines resulting in reduced serum consumption resulting in reduced efficiency:
Name of tablets/medicines resulting in an increase in sedative activities”
Warnings regarding Oxycodone 80 pills:
Since Oxycodone is a natural alkaloid extracted and utilized as a semi-synthetic analgesic. It is highly addictive. Even short-term usage can cause and result in many severe health issues.
- Consuming these pills for recreational, long-term, or overdose can make one physically dependent.
- There are the chances of decreased sex hormone levels. Directly or indirectly impacting sperm production in men resulting reduction in sperm count.
- In women, overdose, abuse, or without a prescription of oxycodone 80 mg can disturb the menstrual cycle.
- Consciousness of patients taking these pills can have adverse impacts.
- Chances of irregular heartbeat rhythm and other heart diseases related to blood pressure are present.
- Brain tumor patients are strictly prohibited from using any opioid substances like Oxycodone.
- Doses of Oxycodone can result in bowel malfunctioning, especially bowel transit. Bowel transit is defined as the movement of ingested food along the bowel.
- Unhealthy esophagus or esophagus cancer patients are highly vulnerable to severe and life-threatening consequences.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1. Is Oxycodone 80 mg tablet safe?
Yes, it is safe to consume oxycodone 80mg. This pill should be taken just as prescribed by the doctor. Otherwise the risk of abuse and addiction increases.
Q.2. How long does 80 mg of Oxycodone stay in your body?
Oxy 80 mg can be detected for 3-4 days in urine and saliva. While oxycodone effects can be felt for 7-8 hours after the latest dose.
Q.3. When to stop taking Oxycodone 80 mg?
Stop taking the pills as advised by your medical practitioner/ doctor. Suddenly stopping the medicine can cause a loss in appetite, stomach cramps, chills tremors, tough sleeping, restlessness, and nervousness.