WHO(World Health Organization) enlisted oxycodone constituent drugs as an essential remedy for moderate to severe pain relief. Belonging to opioid medicines, oxycodone 60 mg is used as a pain reliever drug. it is main ingredient is oxycodone which is a semi-synthetic opiod. This semi-synthetic opioid is, derived from thebaine, a natural alkaloid extracted from poppy seed resin that is papver somniferum.
Ingredients of 60mg Oxycodone Pill:
This drug is of the opioid agonist class. Euphoria, anxiolysis, respiratory depression, and analgesia are some other pharmacological effects of opioid agonists.
- Oxycodone hydrochloride structural formula: C18H21NO4 HCL
- Chemical formula: 4, 5α-epoxy-14-hydroxy-3-methoxy-17-methyl morphinan-6-one hydrochloride.
- Inactive ingredients: 60 mg tablet has ammonia methacrylate copolymer, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, povidone, lactose, polyethylene glycol 400, sorbic acid, sodium hydroxide, talc, stearyl alcohol, triacetin, polysorbate 80, titanium dioxide and FD&C Red no. 40 Aluminium Lake.
Working Of Oxycodone 60 mg:
These are Prolonged released tablets which means they metabolize at a slower pace and activate μ opioid receptor MOR. It is absorbed directly into the bloodstream and works by binding to opioid receptors present in the lungs, heart, reproductive system, and brain. Then, it alters the pain perception and eroding sensation. It also produces a sense of well-being and calmness and impacts the limbic system as well producing a euphoric feeling. The binding of oxycodone with μ opioid receptor releases g- protein complex that inhibits the neurotransmitter release.
Uses of Oxy 60 mg pills:
Doctors prescribe oxycodone 60 mg extended-release/prolonged-release medicine for pain relief, if and only if non-opioid medicines are not sufficient. It is prescribed only when non-opioid medicines are not showing any signs of improvement in patient health. As the FDA approved it, children in the United States can be prescribed with oxycodone 60 mg in case of severe pain.
Precautions regarding Oxycodone 60 mg Pills:
Oxycodone 60 mg is prescribed after a trial of non-opioid medicines. If other alternatives are not efficient then this pill is prescribed. Thus, there are some precautions to be remembered in mind while consuming it. These are as follows:
- Do not chew, crush, or break the pill as chewing or crushing makes the pill release instantly impacting its slow-paced functioning.
- Oxycodone is found in the breast milk of lactating mothers who consume this pill. So it is advisable not to be taken by pregnant and lactating women.
- It is not recommended as a pain reliever for immediate post-surgical pain within 24 hours following the operation.
- Applicable for opioid-tolerant patients only and can be fatal otherwise.
- Inappropriate use may have severe consequences and may result in death.
Side Effects of 60mg Oxycodone Tablets:
Having a semi-synthetic substance of the opioid category makes oxycodone 60 mg cautiously consumed medicine. There are some common, uncommon, and rare side effects associated with oxycodone 60 mg. Time decreases the intensity of the side while severity tends to increase simultaneously. These are as mentioned below:
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Low blood pressure
- Low libido
- Muscle Weakness
- Physical dependence
- Urinary retention
Respiratory troubles, physical dependency, and sleep apnoea are severe side effects. Physical and psychological dependency results in an addiction disorder and may be subject to criminal diversion.
Withdrawal Symptoms of Oxycodone 60 mg:
The severity of withdrawal symptoms depends on the intake amount of oxycodone 60 mg doses. Higher than prescribed or required consumption and overdose/abuse of pills make the patient more vulnerable to the severity of withdrawal symptoms.
The Symptoms of withdrawal include:
- Abnormal sleep
- Rapid and unhealthy weight loss
- High-pitched cry
Interactions of 60 mg Oxy Pills:
This pill is used for the purpose of relaxation and sedative effects. But taking or consuming this pill with other agonists and antagonist analgesics can have interaction based on different ingredients. The high amount (60 mg) of hydrochloride salt elevates the reactivity of the oxycodone 60 mg pill. severity and intensity of interaction are varied in accordance with class and type of other medicines.
- Oxycodone is excreted/eliminated from the human body by organic means in which enzyme alteration is possible. CYP3A4 and CYP2D6 are two of the enzymes responsible for this drug metabolism. These enzymes have the potential to alter the potency of the pill making it inefficient or highly reactive resulting in an increase in side effective severity.
- Fosphenytoin is an injection/medicine utilized in controlling seizures/convulsions. it can decrease the oxycodone effect in chronic pain patients due to CYP3A4 enzyme induction.
- Various medicines/drugs prescribed as CNS depressants can have unwanted consequences like depression and sedative activities.
Warnings of Oxycodone 60mg:
Although Oxycodone pills are popular amongst medical practitioners and chronic pain patients. These pills come with some warnings:
- The side effect of low libido makes the patient vulnerable to low levels of sex hormones.
- Sperm production may be disturbed by consuming the oxycodone 60 mg pill in a higher than-prescribed amount.
- The sedative effects of these pills may impact the consciousness of the patient.
- As oxycodone is an opioid, it should not be consumed by brain tumor patients.
- Addiction is the highly possible side effect of this pill. So it is strictly advised to take/consume only if required.
- Women’s menstrual cycle may have some adverse impact if overly used by female patients. Impacting overall health and well-being.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1. Is a prescription mandatory for Oxycodone 60 mg?
Yes, a prescription for Oxycodone 60 mg pill is mandatory. This medicine has a high probability of misuse and procreational usage.
Q.2. In long does Oxycodone 60 mg stay in the human system?
Oxycodone, the main salt component, is detectable till 3-4 days after the last dose consumption through saliva and urine.
Q.3. How long does a 60 mg oxycodone last?
This pill has a relief life of 10-12 hours as it is a controlled-release dose.