Hydrocodone and Ibuprofen are the two medicines that work as painkillers by altering the response sent to the brain by receptors. One of the doubts that arise here is that can you take Hydrocodone and Ibuprofen together for pain relief. So yes you can take them combined when other painkillers did not work well enough or could not be tolerated.
Hydrocodone and Ibuprofen are combined to relieve acute pain that is severe enough to necessitate opioid treatment. Typically this medication should only be taken temporarily because of the likelihood of dependence, abuse, and overdose. Ibuprofen and Hydrocodone both have a long list of harmful side effects, including breathing difficulties, gastrointestinal bleeding, ulcers, heart attacks, hence they should not be taken together without a doctor’s consultant.
What is Hydrocodone and Ibuprofen?
Hydrocodone is an opioid medication that binds to certain parts of your brain, called opioid receptors to change how you react to pain. It helps you to decrease the pain.
Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug. It blocks the inflammation process in the body, which relieves pain, fever, and swelling.
What is the contraindication used for Hydrocodone and Ibuprofen?
Contraindications are specific health a condition or situations in which a person should not take medication due to safety concerns. If you have any following conditions or any queries that apply to you, let your healthcare provider know about it, so that the doses of the medication could be altered as required.
- Severe asthma, severely slowed breathing or lung problems.
- Obstruction or Constriction in your intestines or stomach.
- Recently has a heart bypass surgery.
- Asthma attack, hives. Or other allergic reactions to aspirin.
- Other NSAIDs or other opioid medications.
What is the typing dosing for Hydrocodone and Ibuprofen?
The typical starting dose is 5mg /200mg by mouth every day for 4 to 6 hours on an as-needed basis for pain. Don’t take more than 5 tablets of any strength in 24 hours. Hydrocodone 7.5mg with Ibuprofen 200 mg is the only approved fix-dose combination analgesic containing an opioid and Ibuprofen. This is a combination of the demonstrated components that have an additive analgesic combination analgesics.
The dosage of this drug will fluctuate depending on the patient. The instructions that are given by your doctor should be followed without any alterations. If your dose differs from the recommended dose, do not adjust it unless your doctor or medicine instructs you to.
- Adults and kids aged 16 and older should take 1 tablet every 4 to 6 hours as necessary. The dose, however, is often no more than 5 tablets each day.
- Your doctor must evaluate the use and dose for children under the age of 16.
If you forget to take a dose of this medication, skip it and resume your regular dosing plan. Do not take two dosages at once.
Side effects of Hydrocodone and Ibuprofen:
Common side effects:
- Headache (27%)
- Sleepiness or tiredness(22%)
Some serious side effects:
- Overdose: Slow breathing, extreme tiredness, lack of awareness, insensitivity to touch or hearing, a slow heartbeat, pinhead-sized pupils, and blue-gray skin tone are all symptoms of overdosing.
- Heart attack or stroke: The symptoms of heart attack and stroke are pain/pressure in your chest, discomfort in one or both arms, shortness of breath, droopy face, and weakness in your arm.
- Withdrawal: The symptoms that occur in withdrawal are Restlessness, runny nose, yawning, sweating, chills, wide pupils, irritability, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts.
- Redding and peeling of the skin, painful rash, fluid-filled blisters.
Other side effects:
- Stomach pain
Advantages of Hydrocodone and Ibuprofen together:
- It works to relieve the sudden pain
- Combines 2 different medications to treat pain in different ways S
- Available in a lower-cost, generic form.
Disadvantages of Hydrocodone and Ibuprofen together:
- High-risk and misuse dependency
- It may lead to severe cardiac and digestive issues.
- It is a controlled medication and demands special requirements to get a prescription fill.
- Do not use them with other NSAID medications
Precautions of Hydrocodone and Ibuprofen:
- While you are taking this medication, especially in the first 24-72 hours, it is crucial that your doctor monitor your progress. By doing so, your doctor will be able to decide whether the medication is working as intended and whether you should continue taking it. It may require testing blood and urine.
- This drug has the potential to establish habits. Do not exceed the recommended dose if you feel that the medication is not working as well. Call your physician for advice.
- This medicine may cause constipation. This is common to use it for a long time. If you use laxatives to prevent and treat constipation you should ask your doctor.
We hope that we were able to clarify the doubt of whether can you take Hydrocodone and Ibuprofen together or not. Be sure to consult all the aspects of your health with your doctor before starting the treatment.