The hectic and lightning-fast routine of today’s society is making us ignorant of our health. One of the most dangerous side effects is becoming tolerant of medicines/ drugs of various types which leads to overdose resulting in drug tolerance. Surprisingly, the wide and general use of analgesics accounts for the most prevalent drug tolerance in the world right now. It is the analgesic tolerance that is indirectly pushing doctors to combine gabapentin and hydrocodone doses. But here the question arises can you take gabapentin with hydrocodone? Let’s find out.
What are Gabapentin and Hydrocodone?
Becoming tolerant of medicine is not good for our health recovery system resulting in high dose demand even for a minute damage or mild impact disease. This is major because of consuming drugs/medicine without an appropriate prescription. Before concluding YES or NO regarding the intake of Gabapentin and hydrocodone combination dose. Here is brief information about the medicines.
Gabapentin belongs to anticonvulsant medication class. It is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for restless legs syndrome RLS and Partial or focal seizures(not general seizures). In RLS patient has discomfort in his body part and an urge to move. It has anxiolytic effects as well. It decreases the excitement of neurons making it applicable for anxiety and bipolar disorder. Many medical professionals recommend this pill for treating diabetic neuropathy pain. Diabetic neuropathy pain occurs due to damage in diabetic patients.
All these benefits and application makes gabapentin drug the 10th most prescribed drug in the United States (2020). It is advised not to cut, chew, or crush as it comes in the extended-release tablets type. That means it works by slow dissolution. Somnolence(strong desire for sleep) is the most frequent and common side effect of this medicine. Gabapentin comes in capsules, oral solutions, and tablet form as well.
It is a semi-synthetic opioid approved for managing severe pain if non-opioid treatments are inefficient or not sufficient. Hydrocodone is made utilizing opium poppy seeds. It is a schedule II medication(regulated drug as per US drug policy). Used as an analgesic drug it functions by inhibiting nociceptive neurotransmitter(pain related to tissue damage) release making it a remedy for addiction treatment. This pill starts performing within 30 to 40 minutes and lasts for 7-8 hours. It is used for cough treatment in liquid form as well.
Hydrocodone should be taken with a prescription or under a medical professional’s guidance due to ototoxic side effects. Lactating mothers who are breastfeeding and pregnant are not recommended to take this pill.
Usefulness Of Taking Gabapentin With Hydrocodone:
Gabapentin is a postherpetic neuralgia pain reliever. Some types of epilepsy seizures are controlled using this medicine. Hydrocodone is also utilized as a pain-related remedy. So consuming these pills provides relief in chronic pain as their effect intensifies and lightens the human brain and body.
Tips To Remember while taking Gabapentin with Hydrocodone:
Since both the drugs are “sedative” drugs producing depressant effects. It is better to remember some to avoid any adverse impact on your health. Life-threatening and severe withdrawal symptoms may occur otherwise.
- Always consume what is prescribed and strictly advised by medical professionals.
- Avoiding nonprescribed medicines with these pills will be beneficial for you.
- Consuming alcohol or any kind of psychostimulant drugs will exacerbate the condition for sure.
- First of all, do not take these pills without appropriate prescription in any situation.
- Stick to the prescribed dose amount. never try to compensate for the missing drug or overdose consumption.
- Tell the doctor during the prescription discussion about allergies, if you have any.
- If you are going to have any surgery. inform your doctor about consuming these pills.
- In case you are asthmatic, you should not take these at all.
- Just avoid taking these medicines if you have long QT syndrome(a heart rhythm problem)
- During pregnancy consumption by pregnant and lactating mothers can make the baby dependent on drugs.
- You have to take care of the interaction of this pill with other medicines.
Side Effects of Combining Gabapentin With Hydrocodone:
Only those who are tolerant of other alternatives or non-opioid painkiller medicines. According to a study on the outcome of co-prescription of opioids, the conclusion states that Gabapentin increases the probability of mortality by 60 percent. Cascading sedative and depressing effects on the central nervous system of both medicines can result in worsening consciousness. These impact the consciousness by slowing down the brain and nerve activity. Possible side effects of combining these medicines are:
- Concentration Trouble
- Impaired Judgment
- Slowed Reaction Pace
- Swelling of limbs
Severe side effects:
- Face swelling
- Breathing trouble
- Extreme sleepiness
- Suicidal thoughts
- Uncontrollable shaking of body parts
- Unwanted/restless eye movements
When To Seek Help While Taking Gabapentin With Hydrocodone:
We strictly advise you to disclose every single detail of your medical history before taking these medicines in the first place. If you are addicted to any substances disclose in front of your medical professionals and let them know about it. You should in advance update your doctor about your medicines lists and previous prescriptions as well. While taking this combination you need to remember that seeking help is of great help. Following are the events when you need to talk to your medical practitioner:
- If you feel/notice/experience any kind of interaction signs, immediately run to your doctor to seek help.
- If you have trouble in breathing or experience any pressure in your chest related to respiratory function.
- If you start noticing slurred speech or start mumbling.
- Any day you feel or observe that you are having confusion while making decisions.
- These are highly addictive drugs. So in case you crave more than the prescribed doses or start overdosing on any of the medicines, talk to your doctor.
The answer to the question of whether you can take gabapentin with hydrocodone depends on your prescription. If you have discussed your health and medical issues with a medical professional/expert then it is a yes otherwise you should not take this medicine combination. Both drugs are sedative so taking them together can double the impact resulting in cascading and hence can be fatal.