Sedatives are commonly used for the treatment of different types of disorders. A sedative (tranquilizer) is a drug that helps in minimizing excitement or irritability. It functions as a depressant for the central nervous system in human beings by inducing sleep or causing hypnotic effects. In a way, these sedatives in low doses form sleeping pills. The best examples of sedatives used as sleeping pills are Ambien and Sonata. In this blog, we will be discussing various parameters of Ambien vs Sonata.
Patients feel relaxed after taking the recommended doses of these prescribed drugs. Ambien and Sonata are two common types of Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved sedatives applicable for the treatment of Insomnia. They cause hypnotic effects. A few characteristics make them different. Let us learn about these medicines and see how they differ from each other.
A Brief Overview of Sonata and Ambien Drug:
Sonata and its functioning:
The pill of Sonata is a sedative or hypnotic known in the market for the treatment of insomnia. Zaleplon is a branded medicine and belongs to the brand of Sonata. It minimizes the time needed to fall asleep by enhancing the sleep intervals. This drug induces sleep induction instead of sleep maintenance. Sonata can work quickly on patients as per several studies.
It works on patients by controlling a chemical messenger in their brains, gradually retarding cognitive processes. Sonata is available in the form of tablets and capsules. Patients may experience restfulness after taking a prescribed dose of this sedative.
The dosage of Sonata may differ from person to person. Generally, 10 mg of Sonata is the recommended dose for non-elderly adults. For patients having a low weight, the adequate dose could be 5 mg Sonata. In certain circumstances, doctors or physicians may recommend a dose of 20 mg for some individuals. Sonata works best on an empty stomach before bedtime.
Ambien and its working:
Ambien is another sedative drug that is used to treat insomnia and other sleep disorders. It is known to influence brain chemicals that become unbalanced during these disorders. This drug is helpful in initiating sleep in individuals by causing a drowsy effect. Any treatment where this sedative is being used must be short.
The standard version of Ambien indicates that it is released immediately after the dose. On the other hand, this sedative’s CR variant implies that it is slowly released in the body. Doctors administer these variants according to the patient’s medical condition.
Doctors usually prescribe different Ambien dosages for both male and female patients. For females, an initial dose of Ambien 5 mg is valid. Whereas males use the standard dose ranging from 5 to 10 mg. The total dose must not be beyond 10mg of Ambien, according to studies. Physicians and doctors generally do not recommend this sedative for a long duration.
Side Effects of Ambien and Sonata:
Side effects can occur after taking Ambien and Sonata sedatives. In this section, we will learn about their side effects.
Side Effects of Ambien:
- Chest pain
- Muscle ache
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Being forgetful
- Back pain
- Double vision
- Voice changes
- Swollen glands in the neck
- Unusual dullness
Side Effects of Sonata:
- Chest pain
- A false feeling of well-being
- Feeling empty
- Loss of appetite
- Difficulty in concentration
- Trouble in sleeping
- Trouble in breathing
Uses of Ambien and Sonata:
Ambien and its significant uses:
- For the treatment of both chronic insomnia and acute insomnia, the Ambien sedative is used by healthcare professionals. Doctors recommend different dosages as per the health condition of individuals.
- This sedative can be used for the treatment of anxiety by working as an anti-anxiety drug. Anxiety may be caused by sleeping disorders like insomnia, etc. Ambien can induce a calming effect in the case of anxiety.
- Jet lag, a condition developed as a result of circadian rhythms, can be treated with this sedative. The jet lag is known to cause insomnia and fatigue. This sedative may be helpful in comforting individuals suffering from these symptoms.
- It helps in treating individuals who are suffering from Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS). One symptom of RLS is insomnia.
- Sleep Onset Latency (SOL) is a shift in time period from complete wakefulness and sleep. With the lowest possible dose, this medicine helps in improving sleep onset latency.
Sonata and its significant uses?
- Sonata also is a recommended sedative that is used for the treatment of insomnia. Healthcare professionals use this sedative according to the individual’s health condition.
- It has the prospect of being used for recreational purposes due to the fact that it causes the hypnotic effect. However, a large amount can be fatal.
- This sedative drug is suggested by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for individuals who are flying or planning to fly. For example, a pilot suffering from insomnia is suggested to take this medicine at least 12 hours prior or later.
- The US Air Force uses this sedative before getting ready for a mission. It is a no-go pill (a stimulant that induces wakefulness) for special-duty personnel and aviators.
Comparing Sonata and Ambien:
This part is basically all about Ambien vs Sonata. In this section, we will find the differences between Ambien and Sonata. These differences are based on various characteristics. Let’s start then.
- Assistance in Sleeping:
Both these sedatives differ in terms of effectiveness. Sonata causes a sleeping effect. However, this effect is not enough for individuals who have to fall asleep. On the other hand, Ambien can help them fall asleep.
Sonata is not as effective as Ambien in the treatment of insomnia. Sonata sedative has a shorter duration of action when compared to that of Ambien. The efficacy of Ambien can last up to 12 hours, while the same for Sonata medicine can last up to 4 hours.
Branded medicines are generally costlier than generic medicines. The generic variants of both these sedative drugs are available. However, how and when to use these medicines depends on the health condition of the person.
- Type of Insomnia:
If a person is having trouble sleeping for at least three months, then he/she is suffering from chronic insomnia. However, a person will also have a less frequent occurrence of insomnia. In both situations, Ambien and Sonata can help stabilize the person’s sleeplessness condition.
- Drug Interactions:
Both these sedatives differ in terms of drug interactions. There are more than 400 drugs that are known to work as interaction drugs with Ambien. Similarly, there are more than 300 drugs that are known to work as interaction drugs with Sonata.
We have now learned that Ambien and Sonata are two sedatives that are recommended to patients by doctors for treating insomnia. These sedatives differ in their long-lasting effects, functionality, and other characteristics. Individuals must not take them on their own. Otherwise, they may face mild or serious health conditions.
Depending on your health, your doctor will suggest you the medicine and dose accordingly. Ambien is more effective than Sonata as it can help individuals fall asleep. Sonata causes a sleeping effect. Still, both are commonly used by healthcare professionals across the globe.